The Freedom Story
Renaming & branding an established nonprofit
The SOLD Project, founded in 2008, prevents child sex trafficking and exploitation by investing in kids’ educations. With opportunity comes more choice. “The SOLD Project” name was initially very effective at what it was meant to do: drive interest and attention towards a documentary that birthed their role in the movement for a slave free world. Yet, it never felt right to call their students “SOLD kids.” In fact, it was the opposite of what they were trying to accomplish.
We helped them develop a new name: The Freedom Story, as well as a new identity. From social media to printed documents to a new responsive website, our team helped them transition from an established name into a new, stronger brand.
We also supported their efforts through social media management, writing articles, and creating visuals for their fundraising efforts, including an end of year campaign that raised over $100,000 in a month.
To effectively transition from The SOLD Project to The Freedom Story; create materials to support the new brand; design and develop a new website; manage multiple online fundraising campaigns
Website design, custom development, marketing strategy, email campaign design, press kit, brand guide, photography, social media management, writing, print design
Branding + Strategy
A designer we worked with developed the logo. We wanted it to be personal, but mature. We felt like a handwritten font would work well with adding that friendliness (and storytelling aspect), but we didn’t want it to look too feminine. The designer created a hand-drawn logo. Using inspiration from local Thai tribes’ fabric patterns, he created a seamless pattern to keep the brand modern, local, and consistent.
Web design + Development
We wanted to create a bold, positive, powerful website. We focused on heavy-handwriting to make a personal impact, then used a clean sans-serif to give the site a modern and friendly feeling.
An important aspect of the website (as well as overall brand) is storytelling. We built out a custom section on the website to host students’ stories, making is simple and impactful to the user. Our goal was to introduce the viewer to the student, tell their story in a powerful, and move them to action by the end of the page.
The End of Year Campaign
In December 2016, we ran a matching campaign to try to raise $90,000 for 2017. We planned social media, email blasts, and custom thank you cards. In the end, we were able to raise over $100,000.
From holiday catalogs to gift cards to yearly reports to business cards, we helped design many printed materials for their team.